In this edition I'll cover a tool that in less than 5 days managed to get 1 million users...
Unless you have been totally disconnected what is going on in the world of online tools then you should already have heard about ChatGPT.
Still, I think it's worth sharing my experiences with you from a communication professional point of view.
This is the new tool for your PR tech stack.
Here's the introduction ChatGPT wrote about itself...
(I just asked the AI to explain itself to an audience of business communicators.)
*ChatGPT is a state-of-the-art, open-source language model developed by OpenAI. It's a variant of GPT-3 (Generative Pretrained Transformer 3), which is one of the most powerful and widely used language processing models in the world.
Unlike traditional language processing models, ChatGPT is specifically designed to handle the unique challenges of conversational language. It's able to understand and respond to natural language inputs in a way that feels human-like and natural.
One of the key advantages of ChatGPT is its ability to learn and adapt over time. It uses a process called "fine-tuning" to adjust its internal parameters based on the specific language and context of a conversation. This allows it to provide highly accurate and relevant responses to a wide range of conversational prompts.
For business communicators, ChatGPT offers a number of potential benefits. It can help automate and streamline many common communication tasks, such as answering frequently asked questions or providing customer support.
It can also assist with more complex tasks, such as generating natural language summaries of reports or documents. Another potential use for ChatGPT is in personalized marketing and customer communication. By using ChatGPT to understand the specific needs and interests of individual customers, businesses can create more targeted and effective marketing messages.
Overall, ChatGPT is a powerful tool that can help business communicators save time, improve accuracy, and enhance the effectiveness of their communication efforts.
How did I use the tool thus far?
After more than a week now I used the tool for several projects. Among other things it helped me generate:
- draft training course outlines based on desired outcomes
- draft a fiction story about a Belgian detective in Brussels in the early 18th century (the images you see are generated by AI as well)
- draft SEO optimised copy for a website
- draft introduction texts about Public Relations and Risk Communication topics
- a draft a press release announcing a potential future course which could be launched next year
Overall, ChatGPT has saved me many hours of writing. Is it perfect? Of course not (yet) - but it is way better than starting from scratch with an empty screen and it is amazingly smart and learns quickly.
Tips for using ChatGPT
- Have a conversation - the prompts work best when you write them as if you're talking with a colleague or friend.
- Add the AI extension in your Chrome browser. It will display ChatGPT responses alongside Google Search results.
- If you're on a Mac, download and install the app (it's free or you can decide to sponsor the developer to buy a Christmas tree).
ChatGPT is free for the moment and is probably training away with all the conversations it is having with the + 1 million users.
I don't think it will stay that way, OpenAi (the organisation behind the tool) will probably start to make money with the API and the integration of the tool in other 3rd party applications soon.
We'll quickly see and integration of ChatGPT with more "traditional" apps like Gmail and others.
In fact, you can already add AI power to your Gmail account - here's a great (and inspiring) example how technology can be used to help people.